Drivers for Epson Aculaser C1100

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 7 07:11:52 PST 2006

Frédéric Massot wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Frédéric Massot wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if the AVASYS drivers for the Epson Aculaser
>>> C1100 printer will be integrated into CUPS ?
>>

>> It is unlikely that they will be bundled with CUPS...
>>

> Because of a problem of licence?

There are two reasons:

     1. Code that is part of CUPS must be either a) provided under
        an appropriate license (GNU GNU/LGPL, New BSD, or MIT-style)
        and/or b) have the copyright assigned to Easy Software
        Products.  While it is possible that a) might some day come
        true, in my experience it is unlikely that b) would come true.

     2. We want to avoid adding a lot of one-off third-party drivers
        into CUPS.  The sample drivers we include support a broad
        range of devices - while you won't get optimal print quality
        out of them, chances are you *will* be able to get something
        usable if your printer supports any of the standard,
        documented printer languages.

It is possible that, in the future, a common "cups-drivers" source
archive might be created, much as we do for PPD files today, however
we would want the printer manufacturers and Linux distributors to
maintain the software...