Does Cups support DeviceAdjustMatrix?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Dec 8 04:59:50 PST 2006

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

>>Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>>
>>>I would think that the following PPD file:
>>>*JobPatchFile 1: "
>>>0.5 0.5 scale"
>>>..
>>>would make everything print half size.  But it doesn't.
>>
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>scale and other operators that affect the graphics state do *not*
>>survive setpagedevice and other operators that normally occur in a
>>PS document.
>

> Jonathan Ryshpan writes:
> It looks like there's no way to get there from here -- i.e. there's no way to use Cups to reduce the size of the image from all jobs so that it fits onto the printable area of my printer (a Brother HL-1440); and that I'll have to modify all of the applications
>
> Unless -- maybe -- I can modify gs_init.ps in the ghostscript library as is recommended by align.ps, which might affect everything going through the ghostscript interpreter, i.e. most of what I print.  However, there's a problem here that I'd like some help with: the print layint is affected by *both* the ppd file *and* gs_init.ps .  Is there a procedure or HowTo about how to separate the effects of these two files?
>
> BTW: Thank both Mr. Blischke and in particular Mr. Sweet for all your help with this.
>
> jon

I think you'd need to set up a /BeginPage procedure in the JobPatchFile
which applies the DeviceAdjustMatrix (as at that time the coordinate
system has been initialized to the device default). It may be reasonable
or even necessary to defer the actual execution of the setpagedevice
operator; it depends on what the setup defined by the PPD does
otherwise. Perhaps you can put this stuff into a modified /Install
procedure for the page device (but that usually requires knowledge
of the current contents of this procedure).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung