[cups.general] Problems making Cups to use Policies

Lukas Thiemeier lukast at ifh.de
Fri Dec 8 09:44:42 PST 2006

Hi,
I'm running Cups 1.2.4 on a Scientific Linux 5 server.
I want to use Policies in order to limit access to some printers to only
one subnet, but i have problems to make cups using my selfmade policies.

This is a policy i wrote for testig. I think it should disable all
operations for the specified subnet:

	<Policy test>
	<Limit All>
	Order allow,deny
	Allow form all
	Deny from 141.34.19.0/24
	</Limit>
	</Policy>

I told Cups to use this Policy using lpadmin:
#lpadmin -p hp4050 -o printer-op-policy=test

This is what my /etc/printers.conf looks like:

	<Printer hp4050>
	Info hp4050
	DeviceURI ipp://pshp4050.ifh.de
	State Idle
	StateTime 1165587509
	Accepting Yes
	Shared Yes
	JobSheets none none
	QuotaPeriod 0
	PageLimit 0
	KLimit 0
	OpPolicy test
	ErrorPolicy stop-printer
	Option Resolution 1200x1200dpi
	Option Duplex DuplexNoTumble
	Option HPOption_Duplexer True
	</Printer>

After restarting Cups, the printer hp4050 is still available on clients in
the subnet 141.34.19.0/24

Using the test-policy as default works fine:
	cupsd.conf: DefaultPolicy test
	results in the printer beeing not availabe on the specified subnet

The clients are running Cups 1.1.21 on Scientific Linux 3

Do the clients have to run Cups 1.2 too?
If not, what do I have to do to use the Policy?

thanks, Lukas