advertise printers with the good ip

Sebastien Barthelemy sebastien.barthelemy at libertysurf.fr
Sat Dec 9 16:46:21 PST 2006

> Hi!
>
> Try to set "ServerName" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
>
> best regards!
> Bernd

Hello Bernd and thank you for your answer,

I put ServerName local_fqdn in the server cupsd.conf, and it works ! But I'm not sure why...

now, on the client side, I have :

Make and Model: HP DeskJet 815C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 1.6.10 on shoebox.respeer.local
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: file:///dev/null

the shoebox.respeer.local maps to the server local ip, it's ok, and it's printing, but...

 * before playing with ServerName, I had a nicer device uri, like

Make and Model: HP DeskJet 815C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 1.6.10 on shoebox.respeer.net
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: ipp://shoebox.respeer.net:631/printers/hp815c

 * when I remove ServerName and restart both server and client cupsd, it sometimes still find the "local" printer and not "the public one. It looks like I'm missing something. A browsing cache ? A big broadcasting latency ?

 * the ServerName directive is not documented in the cupsd.conf refpage /help/ref-cupsd-conf.html
(in cups.1.2.7, debian etch), but it is in the client.conf one. I'm not sure it is the proper way to do. But if it is not, I don't know why it is printing...

I also noticed a funny thing: there is nothing in the client cupsd.conf that allow the client to listen non-local broadcast packets. The client is ubuntu edgy and I enabled the LAN printer detection from gnome-cups-manager. Maybe gnome-cups does the relay from the LAN to the loop interface.

Thanks again