advertise printers with the good ip

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Sun Dec 10 07:16:46 PST 2006

Hello!

> now, on the client side, I have :
>
> Make and Model: HP DeskJet 815C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP
> 1.6.10 on shoebox.respeer.local Printer State: idle, accepting jobs,
> published. Device URI: file:///dev/null
>
> the shoebox.respeer.local maps to the server local ip, it's ok, and it's
> printing, but...
>
>  * before playing with ServerName, I had a nicer device uri, like
>
> Make and Model: HP DeskJet 815C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP
> 1.6.10 on shoebox.respeer.net Printer State: idle, accepting jobs,
> published. Device URI: ipp://shoebox.respeer.net:631/printers/hp815c

CUPS uses a printer cache since 1.2.x. CUPS believes to see 2 ways for the
same printer and creates an implicit class. An implicit class cannot have a
unique "Device URI", so /dev/null is used.
Device URI will change until the first entry gets outdated.

>  * when I remove ServerName and restart both server and client cupsd, it
>  sometimes still find the "local" printer and not "the public one. It
>  looks like I'm missing something. A browsing cache ? A big broadcasting
>  latency ?

You can find the printer cache file somewhere in the spool directory
(/var/spool/cups). Please stop CUPS before deleting this cache file. You
can also wait some minutes until the old browsing entry times out.

>  * the ServerName directive is not documented in the cupsd.conf refpage
>  /help/ref-cupsd-conf.html
> (in cups.1.2.7, debian etch), but it is in the client.conf one. I'm not
> sure it is the proper way to do. But if it is not, I don't know why it is
> printing...

Look in the man page of cupsd.conf.
Feel free to fill a STR on CUPS homepage for this.

> I also noticed a funny thing: there is nothing in the client cupsd.conf
> that allow the client to listen non-local broadcast packets. The client is
> ubuntu edgy and I enabled the LAN printer detection from
> gnome-cups-manager. Maybe gnome-cups does the relay from the LAN to the
> loop interface.

Sorry, I don't exactly understand what you mean. What do you mean with
non-local broadcast package?

best regards!
Bernd