advertise printers with the good ip

Sebastien Barthelemy sebastien.barthelemy at libertysurf.fr
Sun Dec 10 10:31:08 PST 2006

> Hello!
>
> CUPS uses a printer cache since 1.2.x. CUPS believes to see 2 ways for the
> same printer and creates an implicit class. An implicit class cannot have a
> unique "Device URI", so /dev/null is used.
> Device URI will change until the first entry gets outdated.

I guess you mean "will *not* change". (otherwise I'm really puzzled ;)

> You can find the printer cache file somewhere in the spool directory
> (/var/spool/cups). Please stop CUPS before deleting this cache file. You
> can also wait some minutes until the old browsing entry times out.

I waited, everything works fine now, with nice uri. Thanks a lot !

I was not sure what is who in the spool:
$ sudo ls -a /var/spool/cups/
.   00000003  00000007  c00002  c00004  c00010  c00012  c00014  c00023
..  00000005  c00001    c00003  c00008  c00011  c00013  c00022  tmp

> Look in the man page of cupsd.conf.
> Feel free to fill a STR on CUPS homepage for this.

good idea => STR #2141
(actually, it was in the refpage, but didn't appear in the toc)

> > I also noticed a funny thing: there is nothing in the client cupsd.conf
> > that allow the client to listen non-local broadcast packets. The client is
> > ubuntu edgy and I enabled the LAN printer detection from
> > gnome-cups-manager. Maybe gnome-cups does the relay from the LAN to the
> > loop interface.
> >

> Sorry, I don't exactly understand what you mean.

I'm not sure what "BrowseAllow from @LOCAL" means. The ref page says
"The @LOCAL name will allow browse data from all local interfaces."
I guess it means that cupsd will listen at browse data on the l0 interface. Am I right ?

If so, as it is the only BrowseAllow directive in my client cupsd.conf, I don't understand how it can find the server's printer whose broadcasting arrives on eth0.

> What do you mean with non-local broadcast package?

upd broadcast packets not coming from l0

> best regards!

Very best regards !
Sebastien