[cups.general] Printer Recommendations

Chuck Divine chuck.divine at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 08:00:48 PST 2006

All,

I currently have a Samsung ML-1740 printer.  It worked perfectly fine
with my old system with a parallel port.  The old system failed in
September.  I bought a new Compaq Presario SR2030NX which, when I got it
home, I found only had USB ports.  I purchased a USB to parallel cable
and installed splix.  That didn't work as far as allowing me to use the
printer.

So -- since I don't suffer from obsessive compulsive personality
disorder and really have no reason to expend any more effort in trying
to find out what's wrong, I've decided to by a new printer.  Here's what
I'd like:

      * Low priced, reasonable quality black and white laser printer
        that comes with a USB connection.
      * Compatible with above PC and Suse Linux 10.0.  I am willing to
        upgrade to a newer version of Linux if that will help.
      * Easy to install and set up.

Sorry to bother people with what many might suppose is a simple question
that can be answered by sufficient research on the web.  My apologies to
those I have offended.  Unfortunately, though, I don't have lots of time
to devote to research on this topic.

Best,
--
Chuck Divine <chuck.divine at comcast.net>