[cups.general] Printer Recommendations

Chuck Divine chuck.divine at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 13:02:49 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 10:23 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 11:01 -0500, Chuck Divine wrote:
>
> Check with the  http://www.linuxprinting.org database.  It is an
> excellent resource.
>
> I'm partial to HP, myself.  Samsung has an excellent reputation.
>
> FWIW, I have a 1710 which only supports USB and it has worked fine using
> the open source Samsung GDI driver included in the Fedora, CentOS4
> (RHEL4), and Ubuntu (Dapper, Edgy) distros I have used.
> linuxprinting.org says (again, FWIW) that the 1740 works "perfectly".

OK, I tried linuxprinting some time ago.  I even posted the following
message in the Free Standards Forum Printers From Samsung discussion
group on December 1st:

All,

In September I purchased a Compaq Presario SR2030NX. When I got it
home, I found that it did not have a parallel port like previous
computers I have purchased. I was advised to get a USB to parallel
converter to hook my Samsung ML-1740 up to the new system. I did so.

Ever since I haven't been able to the get the printer to work. I
installed the splix package and used the web interface to try and
configure the printer to no avail.

I am currently running Suse Linux 10.0 as my operating system. When I
check out the hardware using Yast2, I get the following information
with
regard to the printer:

65: USB 00.0: 10900 Printer
[Created at usb.122]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_67b_2305_noserial_if0
Unique ID: cLrx.9bzc8DD+mj0
Parent ID: k4bc.hWEK4+gtvT4
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0
SysFS BusID: 1-2:1.0
Hardware Class: printer
Model: "Prolific IEEE-1284 Controller"
Hotplug: USB
Vendor: usb 0x067b "Prolific Technology Inc."
Device: usb 0x2305 "IEEE-1284 Controller"
Revision: "2.02"
Driver: "usblp"
Device File: /dev/usb/lp0
Device Number: char 180:0
Speed: 12 Mbps
Module Alias: "usb:v067Bp2305d0202dc00dsc00dp00ic07isc01ip02"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: usblp is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe usblp"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #64 (Hub)

-------------End of Yast2 information for printer----------------

I have made the same Yast2 inquiry with the printer physically
disconnected from the system. When I do this, the printer does not show
up at all -- as I expected.

Has anyone gotten the Samsung ML-1740 to work on such a system? What
should I do?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Best,
--
Chuck Divine

---------------End of posting-----------------------

According to the linuxprinting web site, my posting has been looked at
154 times.   So far no one has seen fit to comment in any way.

So my computer is seeing something that looks like a printer.  The
printer worked perfectly well when I had a parallel port connection on
the previous printer.  If there is some sort of unique thing I must do
to get the printer to work, I can't find out what it is.

Yes, linuxprinting says the 1740 should work.

Right now I'd just be happy with a specific recommendation of which USB
printer to buy that will work -- and what upgrade I might need in my OS
to get the whole thing working.

Best,

Chuck Divine