[cups.general] Printer Recommendations

Chuck Divine chuck.divine at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 16:30:04 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 17:47 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Well, I recommend the HP 1320 to my clients for entry level printing.
> It supports PostScript 3 and PCL 6 and works quite well.
>
> With my ML-1710, I have always just plugged it in, turned it on, and
> installed it with either system-config-printing (Fedora, CentOS) or
> Ubuntu's printer configuration utility.  I tell it it's a 1710 and
> that's it.  I've never used splix or anything special.
>
> Are you using some sort of usb <-> parallel converter as your included
> message implies?

Yes.

The printer originally came with the standard parallel cable.  Worked
perfectly fine for a couple of years.  Then I bought my new system.  I
went out and bought a connector that would still plug into the printer
and also plug into a USB port on the Presario.  Yes, it's hardware.  The
printer is apparently recognized in some fashion by the PC.  I can't
seem to get the printer to actually work, with splix or the OS.

> Any true postscript printer like the 1320 should be a slam dunk, though.

Does the 1740 qualify as such?

Any tips?

Thanks for your response.

Best,