[cups.general] Printer Recommendations

Steve Bergman sbergman at rueb.com
Mon Dec 11 17:08:14 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 19:27 -0500, Chuck Divine wrote:

> > Any true postscript printer like the 1320 should be a slam dunk, though.
>
> Does the 1740 qualify as such?

No.  It uses a Samsung specific "GDI" language.  Cheaper to implement in
hardware and lets your cpu and the driver do a lot of the work.

So your 1740 is parallel only?  My 1710 is usb only.  If you've set it
up with the Samsung GDI driver (which I would expect to come with Suse
10) without splix and all that, and it doesn't work, I suspect the
converter is causing problems.

Any printer that supports postscript (look at the specs) should work
well with any distro released in the last several years or more since
postscript is the native language that applications emit.

But postscript is more expensive to implement, so you're not going to
find it in a really cheap printer.  PCL is an HP language supported by
many laser printers as well, and should work well, too.  But I still
like postscript better.

-Steve