installed gutenprint, now cant print on Epson C88

jeff jharan at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 19:54:21 PST 2006

Sorry about posting to the wrong list. I tried to find a more general linux printing mailing list but was unsuccessful.

When I run fuser as suggested below, I get this:

linux:/home/jeff # fuser -v /dev/lp0
linux:/home/jeff #

Yet escputil still thinks its busy:

linux:/home/jeff # escputil -i -u -r /dev/lp0
Escputil version 5.0.0, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Cannot open /dev/lp0 read/write: Device or resource busy

If I run fuser in another shell while escputil is blocked above I get this:

linux:/home/jeff # fuser -v /dev/lp0

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/lp0:            root      20823 F.... escputil

linux:/home/jeff #

It would seem to be not a case of another processing accessing the device.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome, including a suggestion of a more general linux printing list where question like this would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Jeff