[cups.general] CUPS on OSX

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Dec 12 07:49:31 PST 2006

Probably a bit off topic, but can anyone point me to docs on the CUPS
integration with OSX?

My specific problem is I can't send a fax from an ibook.  The fax
printer (Internal Modem) doesn't show up in any of the Apple
printer/fax lists.

I'm not sure it's related to CUPS, but the Apple support docs say to
send a fax I need to create a generic printer.

When I did this the printer did *not* show up in the Apple printer
list, but *does* show up in the CUPS web interface.  Ooddly,
localhost:631 shows not only the "Generic Printer" I set up by
following those instructions, but also the FAX printer.

So the mystery for me is why the printers show up in the CUPS
interface but not in the Apple printer lists.

The only printers that show up in the iBook's printer lists are the
ones connected to my Linux machines.  Those just work.

As a Linux user it's frustrating using the Mac, as it's kind of a
black box.  Things mostly work on the Mac, but when they don't I find
it hard to figure out why.  At least on Linux I can usually find out
why things don't work. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org