What is "printer state" exactly?

Ozgur Gungor ozgur22 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:41:10 PST 2006

Hello,

This question is related with my previous one. I would like to know the exact meaning of printer state shown in http://localhost:631/printers.
Is it the real status of printer or is it the status of cups scheduler. I mean, I thought that when printer is busy with printing a job, i expected to see processing state but it is just idle. In fact it is processing state only if I send more than one jobs to the printer and at least one of them is in the queue.

The same thing happens for job status. Just after sending a job to print it status becomes "completed" although it is not completed yet.

So, is there a way to know if the printer is printing a job or it is waiting(idle)?

Thank you,

Özgür Güngör