What is "printer state" exactly?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 13 06:58:12 PST 2006

Ozgur Gungor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question is related with my previous one. I would like to know
> the exact meaning of printer state shown in
> http://localhost:631/printers. Is it the real status of printer or is
> it the status of cups scheduler.

The printer state reported on the web page is the scheduler's state
of the queue.  Normally a queue will stay in the "processing" state
until the printer has either been sent all data or (for some backends)
the printer has signaled that it has completely printed a job.

> The same thing happens for job status. Just after sending a job to
> print it status becomes "completed" although it is not completed yet.

Similarly, jobs are not completed until the backend exits, which can
either mean all data has been sent (most local connections) or
the printer has indicated the job has been completely printed (most
network connections).