[cups.general] CUPS on OSX

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 20:33:18 PST 2006

On 12/12/06, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> Probably a bit off topic, but can anyone point me to docs on the CUPS
> integration with OSX?
>
> My specific problem is I can't send a fax from an ibook.  The fax
> printer (Internal Modem) doesn't show up in any of the Apple
> printer/fax lists.
>
> I'm not sure it's related to CUPS, but the Apple support docs say to
> send a fax I need to create a generic printer.
>
>     http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302436
>
> When I did this the printer did *not* show up in the Apple printer
> list, but *does* show up in the CUPS web interface.  Ooddly,
> localhost:631 shows not only the "Generic Printer" I set up by
> following those instructions, but also the FAX printer.
>
> So the mystery for me is why the printers show up in the CUPS
> interface but not in the Apple printer lists.

I think that doc doesn't really apply to you since you have some real
print queues already. Perhaps you want one of

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1797.html

I could fax (though with frequent font problems) before my iBook broke
down, but I distinctly don't remember having to create any dummy printer
myself. So I'm pretty sure the dummy queue is not the problem. As for
why it doesn't show up in the printer list, I suppose OSX is just trying to
be "smart".

--
cheers,
-ambrose