[cups.general] What is "printer state" exactly?

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Dec 14 01:43:52 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 09:40 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> I would like to provide some more info in particular regarding
> HP printers and the special "hp" backend (i.e. when the HPLIP
> software http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ is used).

Additionally, on the subject of printer state and the HPLIP CUPS
backend, I sent a patch to the HPLIP developers yesterday to add some
simple 'STATE:' output for things like media-empty.  This way, printing
to a remote CUPS queue that uses HPLIP will copy the remote
printer-state-reasons locally, and the user submitting the job will
easily be able to see the problem.

Tim.
*/