Win XP/Cups Printing Madness

Joe Davidson je.davidson at verizon.net
Thu Dec 14 20:28:21 PST 2006

I'm having a problem with printing borderless photos from an HP 5440 printer that is connected to a Debian server running cup 1.2.7.  I'll try to sum up the problem as best I can and everything I've tried to do to rectify it.  Here goes:

Problem:
Printing borderless photos from my WinXP laptop to Cups 1.2.7 on Debian results in a 2k file being received, a few brief clicks from the printer, then nothing.  The printer on the XP/2K machines are setup to print via http.  Setup goes without problem, the printer is found, I install the HP drivers, done.  Samba is NOT involved-- this is straight CUPS.

What have I done:
1) This same printer prints the exact same borderless photos from my Win2k desktop without issues-- same drivers, same program being used, etc.
2) The WinXP computer can print anything else without issue-- non-borderless photos, emails, webpages, word docs, etc.
3) If I hook the XP machine straight to the printer, borderless works fine.
4) I have tried every spooling option I can think of on the XP machine-- whenever I print borderless, I receive a dialog box that quickly says I'm printing, but I get nothing.  When I do not do borderless, the dialog box stays up for a bit as the 4meg picture file clearly moves to the Cups server and starts to print.
5) I also have a Canon printer setup on my 2k/XP machines going to this same server and BOTH machines can print borderless photos (as well as other items).

I'm at my wits end-- on one hand, it sure doesn't seem like a CUPS issue as it isn't even receiving the picture file-- just 2kb of it.  Also, the same combo works on a 2k machine.  On the other hand, the XP machine prints directly just fine.  It seems like an oddball combination between cups, XP, and the borderless HP drivers.

Any ideas?  Any troubleshooting steps I can take?  I'd like to try another XP machine to see if there isn't some sort of one-off issue, but I don't have one.  Thanks!