How to unzip printer driver

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Dec 16 18:15:23 PST 2006

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone please guide me on how to unzip CUPS printer driver?  I downloaded the driver for my printer which end in *.ppd.gz and tried to unzip it using "gzip" and "gunzip" but no luck.  I want to unzip the driver and put it in my /usr/local/cups/model directory.
>
> Thanks in advance for all the help.

You don't need to unzip *.ppd.gz files for CUPS to be able to install them. (The lpadmin commands as well as the web interface can handle zipped .ppd.gz files just fine). After a printer/driver installation, the expanded PPD will be in /etc/cups/ppd/.

That said, it is strange that "gunzip" didn't work for you...

Could it be a permission problem? (The user who runs the gunzip command has  (a) either no right to read (and delete) the *.ppd.gz file, or  (b) no right to write the new *.ppd file into the current directory).

What does "ls -la /path/to/your/ppdfile.ppd.gz" say?