Client doesn't see the configuration options?Why?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Dec 16 20:54:13 PST 2006

> Nobody can help me here?
>
> Am Montag, 11. Dezember 2006 23:19 schrieb Qeldroma:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i had to re install my whole server-system, which provides access
> > to my printer for all my home-pcs..
> >
> > So i configured an canon ip5200 on this host and opened the
> > config for remote clients.
> >
> > On client side, i opened the broadcast.
> >
> > Now what's my problem:
> > Because of a missing backup i have to do it completely new.
> > Before, i had access on the clients as i have connected the
> > printer locally, meaning i could access the dpi, page-size,
> > etc... -options directly on the clients.
> >
> > Now, i can only change them on the server, don't know why.
> >
> > As you can imagine, it is pretty ugly to switch always all
> > settings on the serverside instead of the application, i am
> > using in that moment (p.e. kprinter).

Which version of KDE is this?

kprinter sometimes does not show the "Driver Settings" tab, if
the PPD representing these settings is b0rken (maybe kprinter
is also picky sometims for no reason).

To test for a b0rken PPD, run "cupstestppd /path/to/PPD" and/or
"cupstestppd -v /path/to/PPD".

To test if it is only kprinter's problem, run (on a CUPS client):

  lpoptions -h cups_server_IP-address -d printername -l

Does this one show you the options?

 -> If "no", the problem does not lie with KDE/kprinter.

 -> If "yes", you should test with two non-KDE print command
    GUIs and see if those do display the options: xpp [*] and gtklp

Cheers,
Kurt

[*] Should your distro not include xpp, use a klik xpp package
    from here: http://xpp.klik.atekon.de/
    Read here: http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/User's_FAQ
    how to install the klik client.