Pages come out backwards

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Dec 18 02:35:53 PST 2006

Glenn Ammons wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>

>>Glenn Ammons wrote:
>>

>>>I am using CUPS to print via IPP to an HP LaserJet 1012 that is
>>>connected to my wife's Mac (running OS X).  If a file is printed
>>>from the Mac, the first page comes out first.  If the file is
>>>printed from my machine (running Ubuntu 6.10), the first page
>>>comes out last.
>>
>>From which application do you print the job on the client? And if
>>you print from the commandline, which file format are you sending
>>off to print?
>

> Ah.  Thanks, that was it.  On my machine, I use "lp" to print a
> PostScript file:
>
>     % lp refcard.ps
>
> That comes out backwards.  My wife uses various Mac applications.  I
> just tried lp from the Mac and, lo, it prints backwards, too.  So the
> problem is with the PPD file on the Mac, in which "DefaultOutputOrder"
> is set to "Reverse".  I'll try changing it and hope that my wife's
> jobs don't start coming out backwards.
>

>>Are you aware of the various job options supported by CUPS, such as
>>"-o outputorder=reverse"? (see http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html#4_3_3)
>

> I found old documentation for that option, but it has no effect.
> Also, "outputorder" is not one of the options supported by the printer
> (should it be?):
>
>     % lpoptions -l
>     PageSize/Media Size: *na-letter na-legal executive size-8.5x13 iso-a4 iso-a5 iso-a6 iso-b5 jis-b5 double-post-card sixteen-k na-number-10-envelope monarch-envelope iso-c5-envelope dl-envelope iso-b5-envelope post-card Custom

>     PageRegion/PageRegion: na-letter na-legal executive size-8.5x13 iso-a4 iso-a5 iso-a6 iso-b5 jis-b5 double-post-card sixteen-k na-number-10-envelope monarch-envelope iso-c5-envelope dl-envelope iso-b5-envelope post-card
>
> Thanks.
> --glenn

Well, that meqans that your PPD(s) define a default output order
but do not provide a choice between reverse and normal.

Edit the PPD(s) and replace the "Reverse" by "Normal" or even
comment out the whole statement (replace "*DefaultOutputOrder"
by "*%DefaultOutputOrder" ) and see what happens then.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung