start/stop authorization for a single printer

Opher Shachar ophers at ladpc.co.il
Tue Dec 19 03:43:48 PST 2006

> Hi,
>
> I'm using cups v.1.1.22 on RHEL4. I would like to allow a user to start/stop a specific printer without giving him the right to delete or modify the printer.

As far as I know, this is not possible with CUPS 1.1.x. What is possible is giving a user unrestricted admin rights to CUPS.
That was made possible in CUPS 1.2.x through the use of Policy.

> I've looked at /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and found the following directive which looks like the starting point for what I want to achieve.
>
> <Location /admin>
> [...]
> </Location>

Here you can grant a user access to the /admin location but, afaik, not authorization to do the task.
Admin authorization is granted through the SystemGroup directive.
(And again - unrestricted authorization)

I actually was confronted with the same issue and addressed it by installing a FedoraCore6 (has CUPS 1.2.4) machine and adding
    ServerName <fc6 host name>
to /etc/cups/client.conf on the RHEL4.

Cheers,
Opher Shachar.