Multiple servers - production and evaluation

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Dec 19 04:12:27 PST 2006

I've just built a 1.2.7 CUPS installation for evaluation - rooted in a different directory from our `production' 1.2.5 server, of course - on Solaris 8. (I've taken care that none of the boot-time service startup files written by the 1.2.7 `make install' overwrite the 1.2.5 ones under /etc/rc.* - since I made the installations in non-standard directories, these - I think - are the only files that would overwrite each other with a `make install'.) Before I started the 1.2.7 server, I altered its cupsd.conf file so that the only `Listen' directive was `Listen 632' - hoping I would then be able to manage it via http://pserver:632/ independently of the production server on http://pserver:631/. I find that when I run the 1.2.7 cups.sh startup file - which references the 1.2.7 installation, and not the 1.2.5 one, that the 1.2.5 server is restarted.

What have I omitted to change to allow independent operation of multiple schedulers on the same print server, please? Is there something hardwired or set at configure/make/install time that refers to port 631?

John A. Murdie