The -U option in lp and lpr

Opher Shachar ophers at ladpc.co.il
Wed Dec 20 03:13:27 PST 2006

Hello all,
CUPS 1.2.x adds a -U username option to lp and lpr. This allows any user on the local machine to submit a job as another user without authentication (by default). To dissallow this I added
    AuthType Basic
    Require valid-user
under <Location /printers/MyPriner>. Now while user 'root' can submit jobs with lp without being required to enter a password, all other users submiting a job as themselfs (not using -U) are required for their password.
I'd like to set-up things such that users on the local machine can send jobs as themselfs - using lp - without being required for a password and, in all other cases be asked to autheticate.

Thanks,
Opher Shachar.