[cups.general] windows & postscript via samba with hpijs

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Wed Dec 20 08:22:39 PST 2006

On Dec 20 2006 10:04, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>On Dec 19 12:10 christophe roux wrote (shortened):
>>
>> ... Debian with samba and cups and a HP Office Jet 6210 printer.
>> I am able to print locally to the printer.
>> I installed the Adobe Postcript driver for windows on the server;
>> I installed the printer throught the net but when printing,
>> the raw postscript text is printed.

That is the intention of AdobePS and CUPSUI6. They output ascii
postscript (AFAICT) - stuff you can look at with the programs
GhostScript or gv. This is IMO the best format to handle with CUPS.
(Big number of possibilities to transform, better suited for
accounting than backinterpreting HPGL/PCL like pykota does.)

When storing jobs you can run gv on /var/spool/cups/d*

(And I prefer CUPSUI6 for Windows 2000/NT/XP because it's a "regular"
printer driver -- AdobePS is not really.)

>By default Samba may do explicite "raw" printing.
>Have a look at your smb.conf for something like
>        cups options = raw

my  smb.conf:

    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
#    printcap cache time = 750
#    cups options = raw
#    printer admin = root
    load printers = yes

The default value for cups options is "", not "raw".

>By the way:
>This default is perfectly right for the usual case when the
>Windows clients produce printer specific data with the Windows
>printer driver from the manufacturer of the particular model.

	-`J'