random printer pauses/stops

GCPS gcps_testid at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 12:04:00 PST 2006

We have a problem with CUPS pausing printers randomly from time to time.  It only happens once every several days.  We have several printers setup in CUPS on this print server.  They are all raw printers.  However, it is only one printer at a time that has the problem.  It has occurred on multiple printers.  The fix is easy.  Click the green start printer button from the CUPS web admin page. This always solves the problem.  However, there is no evident error condition on the printer that has become paused in CUPS.  Any ideas as to what may be causing this?  Is there a fix or workaround that will prevent printers from automatically entering this stopped condition without user intervention?  If not, is there a way to have a printer auto-start immediately once it has been stopped?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.