[cups.general] back to square one with job killing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 21 15:16:23 PST 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 13:14, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> rebooted, including a powerdown on the printer which was still pumping
>> out paper when the machine was half rebooted.  I'd killed the job from
>> the web page, and had gone around with mc nuking stuff related to
>> the job
>> to no avail...
>>
>> Is there no reliable way to stop such a runaway, resource wasting job
>> except a full powerdown on the whole chain?
>
>Power printer off, kill job (if it still exists), power printer back
>on.  Modern laser printers have humongous buffers.  (I've watched our
>Dell W5300 suck down an entire large queue from the server while it's
>warming up to print the burst page for the first job.)

I suspect that may have been the case here, but this is a mere Epson C82,
whose memory buffer probably can't hold more that one sweep of the head
out & back.  It actually surprised me that it could print ascii text!

It may be that I'm approaching the end of this old warhorse C82, I've had
it crash and require a pull the plug powerdown 3 times in the last couple
of months, more often since I installed FC6 TBE.

But this exact scenario, where the whole system has had to be rebooted
after cleaning up the job files to actually stop the printer is something
I've railed about from the gitgo years ago.  It seems to me that there
should be (this IS a packet protocol printer) a way to force a software
reset and buffer flush so it stops in its tracks, spitting out the
unfinished current sheet just to clear the paper path and return then to
the idle state.

Can this not be done as part & parcel of the job kill?

And its typically doing the crash when a powerdown from the front panel is
attempted while its busy.  That was the case in this instance also.  At
times I'd kill for a genuine power switch.  Finding its power cable on
the strip to unplug it is a PITA.  You wouldn't believe my power
distribution here, its all from one wall plug, but I haven't had a modem
or anything else destroyed by a lightning strike in the years since I did
it.

I have a C88 also, but it has had paper feed issues (crooked sheets bend
the bottom corners over, even in 40-60 lb photo papers) since it came out
of the box, and the color is horrible compared to the well tuned state
the C82 drivers are in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)