direct vs.through Unix CUPS

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at temp01.nccom.com
Thu Dec 21 16:52:55 PST 2006

Hi.  We have some Macs on our local network and I originally set BrowsePoll in their cupsd.conf files so that they'd see the printers advertised by our Unix CUPS server (running 1.1.23).

This basically works, in that they can see the printers and print to them, but it has some problems.

For one thing, jobs take a lot longer.  A 50 MB PDF file takes ten to fifteen minutes to print, as opposed to just a few seconds if I load the printer manufacturer's driver on the Mac (which still uses CUPS I presume) and print through that.

Another problem is that when they try printing labels, they don't line up correctly when using the central CUPS server, though they work perfectly using the local "driver".

Any ideas on this?  In principle, I prefer having all jobs go through one central print server.

Thanks...

...Jim