XP, IPP, CUPS and offline printers

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Sat Dec 23 03:53:22 PST 2006

Sadly I can't solve your problem, but I can write down my experience. Maybe
it helps.  ;)

nuno inácio wrote:

> I have a windows 2000 and XP on a CUPS server.

Which UNIX, BSD or Linux distribution and which CUPS version?

> every thing works fine but I get a "offline printer" on XP just after a
> reboot. That means that it connects/installs well and after the 1st reboot
> it just states the IPP printers as "offline". They still print, but it
> gathers error files on windows queue. Windows 2000 does't report that, but
> I have a XP64bit wich just doesn't print after that 1st reboot.

Never saw this problem on my installs.  :(

> Furthermore I've googled the problem and i'm not the only one (even here
> there are some help requets) but never answers... worst: it seems that
> worked fine on FC4.

Maybe it is a distribution specific error?

My successful configurations with Win2000 + WinXP:
SuSE Linux 10.0 x86-64 (CUPS 1.1.23)
Ubuntu Server LTS x86-64 (CUPS 1.2.0)
SuSE Linux 8.2 x86-32 with CUPS 1.1.23

> Can anyone give me a clue, a hint, a direction... anything!
> Yup it's that desperate.

I think you see a bug which is specific to a CUPS Version or an OS
distribution.

Maybe someone gets an idea if you send following data:
*) OS distribution and version
*) CUPS version
*) Parts from your cupsd.conf (Browse* configuration, Location
permissions, ...)

If you like experiments then you can try out latest CUPS version from 1.2.x
branch.

Merry Christmas!
Bernd