[cups.general] is it possible to configure cups to disallow pure-text jobs

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Dec 23 18:35:55 PST 2006

Hello list.

The print server with a lot of printers on it is shared by many
departments in differnt subnet and different offices, currently it's not
possible to forward CUPS broadcast for a lot of reasons, so I printed an
instruction and send to everybody who wish to print, this instruction
demonstrate how to add a printer on the print server.

But there are always newbies who failed to install the correct print
driver. If the printer driver is incorrect, cups send the job to printer
and printer don't understand it, thus think it's a pure ASCII text
document and print out the raw data, result is every once a while I can
go to the printers and collect 100 sheets of paper full of junk
characters on it. I can educate everyone and install print driver for
everyone of them, but even though there are people coming and go,
notebooks and new computers, that I am sure someone will fail anyway.

The best solution is, so far as I can think, to turn off "print raw
ascii text" option on the printers: I want if a printer cannot
understand the job (e.g. sending PCL job to a Postscript printer), the
printer do nothing but give an error. However as I look through the
documents of printer, this option seems to be missing on many printers.

So, I go on to read cups documents, and again, no such option.

Is it possible at all, to disable ASCII-printing on print server side?
In our environment absoltely nobody use ASCII-printing feature and it
only causes trouble.