Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!

Wilbert Alberts wilbert.alberts at gmx.net
Thu Dec 28 01:46:50 PST 2006

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Wilbert Alberts wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to get a HP Laserjet 1220 to print using cups on a NSLU2. I
>> managed to the the printer recognized. However, whenever I try to print
>> a test page, I get:
>>
>> Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!
>>
>> /etc/opt/cups/mime.convs contains:
>>
>> application/postscript  application/vnd.cups-postscript 66      pstops
>>
>> /opt/lib/cups/filter contains a pstops that seems to work:
>>
>> bash-3.2# ./pstops
>> ERROR: pstops job-id user title copies options [file]
>>
>> What part is missing from this puzzle?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Wilbert.
>
> Which PPD do you try to use with that printer? I suspect you use a
> PPD that specifies a special filter (via the *cupsFilter: "..." statement)
> which references some specieal data type, and CUPS cannot establisch
> a chain from application/postscript to the final data type.
>
> Helge

Indeed, I have been struggling with two bits:

1) The cupsd needs to have rw access to the printer devices. (I forgot
that the daemon tries to run as lp.)
2) The PPD I used tried to access the printer using PCL4. I replaced it
with a PPD file that used postscript access and all problems were solved.

Thanks,

Wilbert.