How-To for DLink DP-311P print server & CUPS

Peter Flynn peter.nosp at m.silmaril.ie
Thu Dec 28 05:08:16 PST 2006

Jim Avera wrote:
> This is a step-by-step description of how to configure CUPS
> to work with a D-Link DP-311P wireless print server.
>
> There are a few posts on the internet asking for help, but no answers which I co
> uld find.  So I thought I'd post my results here to maybe
> save somebody the trouble I went through.  The key undocumented fact
> is that the lpd print queue name is "lp1".

I just managed to get CUPS working (sort-of) with the EdiMax PS-1206MF
Ethernet-to-USB printer connector, which runs a rudimentary IPP server.

Again the name of the printer for use in the ipp:// URI was not entirely
obvious but it *was* in the PDF manual: it's lpt1. Quite why these
manufacturers choose to bury this kind of important information and give
precedence to huge quantities of marketing guff is unclear.

///Peter