EdiMax PS-1206MF Ethernet-to-USB printer connector

Peter Flynn peter.nosp at m.silmaril.ie
Thu Dec 28 05:17:14 PST 2006

After some struggle with Ubuntu's UI for CUPS (or maybe it's CUPS's UI
for Ubuntu) I gave up trying to get this gizzmo to work when I found
that I *could* make it work using the CUPS web interface.

I'm not clear why one route should work and the other not: using the UI
route, I could set up the printer but nothing ever got printed. It
created the job, but it just sat there forever.

However, using the web interface each job gets printed OK, but never
gets cleared or deleted afterwards, and there seems to be no option to
force this. I have to manually click Cancel Job after each job is
printed, otherwise the next one in the queue never prints because CUPS
believes the first job hasn't finished yet.

My guess is that this is some bug in the EdiMax box, failing to pass
back a completion message. Is there some way to force CUPS to time a job
out and delete it even though CUPS may believe it to be current?

The other puzzle is printing large sheets (this is a HP 1220C capable of
A3 or 13"x19" paper). CUPS can be set to do this, of course, and the
test page is fine, and even Acrobat Reader appears to believe the
settings, but when it goes to print, the page either comes out A4 or
refuses to rotate to print landscape pages correctly. Something
somewhere isn't synchronising properly...but what?

///Peter