[cups.general] IP3000 (CUPS community, you're my only hope)

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 23:31:14 PST 2006

Hey folks,

I feel as though I am at my wits end and am considering laying down
$30US to end my hassle... then I read an article that remined me WHY I
like open source projects.

So instead of giving up I figured why not see what I can contribute to
try and motivate the CUPS crew to solidify a good Canon IP300 printer
driver.

let me know now if I am even going to have an audience, or is Foomatic
or guten print a better forum.

I have tried other drivers like the bjc7000 as if often touted as the
main alternative.

I also tried the ip3100 driver from the cannon site in japan. they have
RPM's for some models.

I also tried others.

In short there is no single printer driver that does all... and well to
be frank I paid for a printer that I expect to fully use.

So have good color and lack the use of duplex printing and the bottom
casset tray. others have good use of the bottom tray but the color
redition is off. and others can use most functions but then crap out on
resolution.  As someone who does lots of documents I like the casset
option. As a photographer I like printing off some proofs before taking
the real thing to the printers... and as an enviro conscience geek I
like my duplex printing.

I have sent an e-mail to canon canada (fat chance in a response there I
know but I had to do it to say I did).

I am currently trying out the Turboprint drivers and so far I am VERY
VERY VERY impressed.. a few hiccups, but they are working hard to fix
some holes... with this driver I have full resolution, duplex printing I
can use my bottom tray. I am just having troubles with printing 4x6
images on anything other than 8.5x11 paper.

I followed a tutorial that modified the 3100 ppd file to add extra options.

So is it possible that I can work with someone to hash out this issue?

I think the demand is there to support the ip3000 or else I would not
have found all the workarounds and hacks. I feel as though its time to
do this driver right. in the future I will buy a postscript printer and
spend my life savings, but my job does not permit that right now, so
consumer windoze printers it is.

HECK, I would even be happy with an open source approach of using the
drivers that came with the stupid printer.

So where do I go?  Where will my efforts by appreciated and useful?

I can test stuff, log bugs, provide feedback and try out test prints....
what I have is enthusiasm, I am not a programer nore do I fully
appreciate the ins and outs of driver manufacturing..... but I learn quick.

Shall we get started?