lpr / OpenOffice envelope printing

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Dec 31 11:04:37 PST 2006

OpenOffice prints envelopes fine on my Laserjet 1100.

If I create a correctly sized and oriented pdf and lpr (cups berkeley tools) it then it prints fine BUT the printer flashes a light and I have to hit a button on it before it prints it.

There is nothing printed outside of the border of the envelope AFAICS. I'm looking for help in stopping it flashing the light and waiting for manual input.

I'm thinking it could be

a) It thinks it should be printing from another (empty) paper input. How do I manually specifiy the input tray? The 1100 has two inputs, one is explicitly for envelopes.

b) It thinks there is something outside of the border of the envelope.

Is there a way to find exactly what openoffice is telling cups to do so I can repeat it (hopefully with command line tools)? This is all on Ubuntu Edgy.

Thanks in advance :-)