[cups.development] curious: every other job get stuck forever with client-error-forbidden

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 16:28:24 PST 2006

(I am *only* interested in understanding how/why this happens, as a
curiosity - so a reference to a specific STR entry or changelog
entry is preferred, than a brief "please upgrade" - I am neither the
sys admin nor interested in fixing the problem for the systems concerned)

There are two antique cups systems - client cups version is 1.1.21,
and server cups version is 1.1.17. Every once in a while, every 2nd job
sent by client to server is stuck indefinitely with:
"Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)"

and there are a lot of stale ipp://server:631/ backends running on
client machine, for a whole run of even job ids, or a whole run of odd job ids.

The actual printer is also networked. (i.e. 3 item on the network)

Is there a specific bug with the ipp backend on 1.1.21 which causes
this behavior? Presumably it is already fixed, as I have not seen
similiar behavior in 1.2.x.

TIA.