[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2138: pdftops creates invalid PS fromparticular PDF

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Dec 11 07:50:24 PST 2006

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 08:54 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> The embedded font in the PDF file does not contain a space glyph. The
>> default "missing character" glyph name in ESP Ghostscript is "space"
>> instead of ".notdef".  Ghostscript is throwing an error because it can't
>> find a space character in the embedded font.
>>
>> espgsMissingChar is defined in gs_init.ps; you can patch it to use
>> .notdef, however keep in mind that this will lead to some PDF files
>> printing with boxes for missing characters instead of spaces...
>
> Isn't it possible to have GS try 'space' first and fall back to
> '.notdef' if 'space' isn't defined?

Possibly, but I'm not sure how convoluted it would be (gs_type1.ps
and gs_ttf.ps both use espgsMissingChar...)

Given that we're trying to get ESP Ghostscript and GPL Ghostscript
merged, I'd recommend filing a bug against GPL Ghostscript requesting
that both space and .notdef be tried; currently GPL Ghostscript only
uses .notdef...