[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2138: pdftops creates invalidPS fromparticularPDF

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Dec 14 04:38:10 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

>> Why was EPS gs changed in the first place? I know the excuse "customer
>> prefers space than a black/white box", for which I can only say, "use
>> a different font with all the glyph you need"  - using .notdef, and only
>> .notdef, is the correct behavior. That's the whole reason why there
>> is a glyph called ".notdef"!
>

> IIRC, the problem was with files that did not contain a .notdef
> glyph.  Broken, yes, but unfortunately all too common... :(
>
> Ghostscript displayed a box, while EVERY PostScript printer displays
> a blank space instead...

The strange thing is: if I render the PDF using gs, I get no error
or warning message, but if I convert the PDF to ps (using xpdf's pdftops,
version 3.01 and render *that* using gs, I get the message
	"substituting .notdef for space"
Thus it might be a bug in xpdf's font conversion stuff?

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung