[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2161: parallel backend causes high CPU load on FreeBSD

Chris Radlinski radlinskic at acm.org
Mon Dec 18 05:48:49 PST 2006

[STR New]

In bug report STR #2056 (fixed in CUPS 1.2.6), user "twaugh.redhat"
reported high CPU loads when printing with the parallel backend on Linux.
In the resolution, "mike" said this problem only applied to Linux.  I
encountered exactly the same problem on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE for AMD64.
Looking at the patches attached to STR #2056, I modified the #ifdef
__linux block (lines 192-209) in parallel.c so it would open the device
using O_WRONLY on FreeBSD. I recompiled, reinstalled, and the problem went
away.

I request that the developers modify parallel.c to compile the same on
FreeBSD as it does on Linux.

Thanks.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2161
Version: 1.2.7