trouble printing many PDFs

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Feb 1 05:15:54 PST 2006

Jim Gottlieb wrote:

> The biggest problem we have is with PDFs.  I'd say that close to 20% of the PDFs we try printing just won't print.
>
> The logs show the job went through, and the data light on the printer flashes for several seconds, but then it stops flashing and nothing ever prints.
>
> We have the same results whether it's being printed from Preview under OS X or acroread under Solaris, and it doesn't matter whether we try printing to our Ricoh or HP printer, so that would seem to leave only CUPS.
>
> I just tried upgrading from 1.1.20 to 1.1.23, but that didn't help.
>
> The full debug log for one such failed job is at http://tokyojim.com/cupslog-20060131
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks...

If your printers only suppoert level 2 of PostScript, they may have problems with CFF fonts
as reported in your log file. Try to select PostScript level 2 when printing from Acrobat
or reader and let us know if it succeeds (the default is level 3, if I remember correctly).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung