[cups.general] print to a file

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 1 06:28:17 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Feb 1 08:51 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
>> Something like "cat test.txt | lp -d fakeprinter" and the out put
>> would be equal to "cat test.txt >> filename"
>
> If a fixed file name is sufficient and if you don't need to
> care much about security:
> Set up a "raw" queue using the "file" backend and enable
> "FileDevice" in cupsd.conf.

That won't work and is one of the reasons we don't advertise or
support the use of the file pseudo-device in CUPS for anything but
testing or pointing at /dev/null.

Basically, there is no "file" backend, it just maps internally to
point the stdout of the last filter to the file.  When you configure
a raw queue there are no filters so nothing will ever get written to
the file!