[cups.general] Getting printjob pagecounts when SNMP won't work

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Feb 1 13:31:34 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:07:15AM -0800, Rob Tanner wrote:

> I am setting up a print server where we will be doing print charge back
> accounting  (users pay by the page).  The backend wrapper "accsnmp"
> works great for all but two printers that are too old and don't support
> the common printer MIB.  Therefore, I presume that I need to use either
> postscript or pcl to read the pagecounter before and after, and also to
> get the printer status (printing and idle).  Does anyone have any code
> snippets that do that or is there yet another mechanism to accomplish
> the same thing.

You could grab PyKota using subversion :

  $ cd /tmp
  $ svn co svn://svn.librelogiciel.com/pykota/trunk pykota
  $ cd pykota/pykota/accounters

and then :

  $ python pjl.py your_printer_ip_address

if you've got a meaningful result, then adapt this Python script to your
needs (no need to setup PyKota at all).

NB : the script should exit after 3 or 4 queries to the printer,
if not, you're on your own...

hoping this helps

bye

Jerome Alet