Xerox 7750 Media Size switching

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Feb 2 09:27:59 PST 2006

> > Hi,
> >
> > I was not able to get much output from the CUPS' error_log file with debug (or debug2 on), it just appears to be normal setup communication stuff:
> >
> > <SNIP/>
> >
> > You will find the PPD at:
> > http://rg415.bravehost.com/ppd/Xerox%20Phaser%207750GX.txt
> >
> > In my continuing hunt for a solution, I found this page:
> > http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id2603130
> >
> > At the very end of it there is a diagram outlining the CUPS system.
> > Notice that Mac OS/X systems use their own Apple PDF-RIP.  Since I am connecting directly to CUPS via IPP from my application, am I bypassing this Apple PDF-RIP and therefore not getting the control file that is produced when printing through other Mac applications?
> > If so, how can I programmatically initiate the same printing path thru the Apple PDF-RIP?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RG
>

> Well, if the printer really is a Phaser 7750 GX, it is equipped with a hard disk and
> digests PDF (up to 1.4) directly. You log file snippet seems to assert that the PDF is
> fed unprocessed to the printer.
>
> As for PostScript jobs, your PPD references a filter named pstoxeroxps, the properties of which
> are not found anywhere.
>
> From my experience with a similar printer I suspect that printing to a specific media size
> only works if either
> - the media is installed (in your case, one of the input trays must be configured to hold
>   tabloid sized paper),
> or
> - the paper mismatch handling must be configured to operator prompt (in which case a prompt
>   should occur on printer's tiny display, and somebody has to either accept or change paper.
>
> So, these probably are the final hints I am able to give to you.
>
> Helge

Hi,

The trays are installed as you mention with Tabloid and Letter trays set up.
The control file of the pdf that works (printed with the Mac app - Preview) contains a line MediaType AutoSelect - I think this comes from the Xerox PPD file.  I have not found how I might force set this through the IPP protocol. Can I?

RG