Xerox 7750 Media Size switching

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Feb 3 15:30:59 PST 2006

> > > Yes. On an ordinary Linux/UNIX CUPS installation you use the "configure printer" button of the
> > > "http://localhost:631/printers/yourprinter" page. I don't know how this will be
> > > configured on MacOX X with the printer configuring tool there. If you cannot set it by GUI,
> > > you could edit the pritner's PPD (in /etc/cups/ppd/your_printer_name.ppd), look there for
> > > the keysord "*DefaultMediaType:" and set the value to "AutoSelect" (all without the quotes).
> > > Then restart CUPS, and it should work.
> > >
> > > Helge
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the '*DefaultMediaType:' is already set to 'AutoSelect'.
> >
> > RG
>
> Hi,
>
> I found out what works...
> lpr -l -P printer file.pdf
>
> Thanks for your earlier comment about the robustness of this printer (hard drive and digesting PDF directly).  So sending the file 'raw' allows the printer to decide how to handle it - printing it on the correct media type.
>
> Now, I have to figure out how to initiate this from Java printing (IPP client) to send it through the CUPS service as a raw file.  I hope it is just a matter of setting the DocFlavor to AutoSense and uncommenting the application/octet-stream mime mappings in CUPS.
>
> Thanks again,
> RG

Hi,

For anyone trying to print from a Java application on a Mac to CUPS via IPP using the javax.print package:  Make sure you have at least J2SE 5.0 installed as it does not work in Java 1.4.x.  I had to resort to doing a  runtime exec call to use the 'lpr' command instead.
See: http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Java/java141/outstandingIssues/chapter_6_section_7.html
and
http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Java/Java50RN/1_NewFeatures/chapter_2_section_3.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001881-202-DontLinkElementID_6

Thanks for the help,