[cups.general] Getting error on some, not all printers -- Config Printer dialogue

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Tue Feb 7 14:00:28 PST 2006

I'm getting the error "server-error-service-unavailable" returned after
pressing the "Continue" button on several (but not all) of my printers.
I turned the debug level up to debug2 just to get the most debug data,
but there's no indication of an error -- at least nothing significantly
different in the error_log between a printer that works and one that
gets the error.

Ownerships in /etc/cups are all lp:sys, so I don't think it's a
permissions problem.   Also, I don't need to change anything to get the
error, just press the "Continue" button.

Where do I need to look for this problem?

Thanks.

--

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager