[cups.general] long delay in processing (parallel printer)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 9 00:19:31 PST 2006

Hello,

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Anonymous wrote:
> > What's wrong with my printer settings for the parallel printer?
> > I'm using Suse 10.0
> > If I boot from Suse 9.1 Live CD the printer works fine

Problems with the parallel port have nothing to do
with the CUPS printing system.
The printing system uses the parallel port but it is
not responsible that the parallel port stuff works.

Read our "Release Notes" which are shown at the end of
the installation and if you ignored them (or if you like
to know about the real cause of the problem and not only
the "user-friendly" wording in the "Release Notes"), see
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Nov/1206.html

Furthermore it is always a good idea to have a look at our manual
and have a look at our support database where you will find
sufficient information regarding parallel port setup.
For example on Suse Linux 10.0 see
file:///usr/share/doc/manual/suselinux-manual_en/manual/sec.drucken.prob.html
"31.7.3. Parallel Ports"
or in our support database see for example
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/04/jsmeix_print-device-parallel.html
(/etc/modules.conf was again renamed to /etc/modprobe.conf).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de