[cups.general] Spooler jobfile names in /var/spool/cups/

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 9 10:50:41 PST 2006

Tom Callahan wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can change how CUPS names the jobfiles in
> /var/spool/cups? I need to preserve all Job files, and be able to backup
> and purge this directory. The problem is, once I purge, CUPS starts the
> numbering over again, so if I ever have to restore, it will overwrite
> the data currently in there..... I'd like to somehow have CUPS name
> those jobfiles with a date stamp in them....

First, the naming is simple: cNNNNN is the control file for job N,
and the dNNNNN-MMM files are the data/document files for job N (MMM
is the file number from 1 to 999).  If the job ID exceeds 99999, then
you just add a digit.  Similarly, file numbers over 999 add digits
as needed.

As for backup and purge, just keep the highest numbered job in the
spool directory so that CUPS will continue numbering using the next
job ID.

There are some changes coming in CUPS 1.2 that will make life easier
for you (we'll be saving the next job ID in a cache file), but for
1.1.x the above advice will avoid duplication of job IDs...