How to hide a printer on the cups server

Antti Niemi atniemi at cc.hut.fi
Fri Feb 10 06:11:27 PST 2006

> > Antti Niemi wrote:
> > If different printers have restricted access, based on
> > usernames,groups,networks etc. it would be only natural, if the
> > printers wouldn't popup in their printingdialog, while they're using
> > applications supporting cups (firefox,OO.org2,kprinter...). A sheer
> > publish/unpublish feature doesn't satisfy this kind of need.
>
> > Michael Sweet wrote:
> I still have some last bits to commit to propagate the
> requesting-user-name-allowed/denied attribute to clients - that
> will take care of limiting by user/group on the clients.  However,
> it will NOT be possible to limit by IP address with a single cupsd
> instance - you'll need to setup multiple CUPS servers with
> different ports or addresses to do that.

Thanks for the information, I'm looking forward for the betarelease and naturally for the productionrelease of cups-1.2. Hopefully I can find a satisfactory solution by setting up multiple CUPS servers, still it would be nice in the future versions of CUPS to be able to limit browsing based on other attributes than user/group, too.

Centralized printing solution in a very heterogenous environment cries out loud for that.

-Antti