Trying to resize text and fix margins ... filter for this?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Feb 10 12:58:01 PST 2006

Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got our cups install working perfectly.  I have a text document,
> and when I do:
>
> cat <filename> | lpr
>
> it works great.  The thing is, this document is plain text, and I now
> want to be able to: 1) Make the font-size smaller (size 11 instead of
> size 12); and 2) make the margins smaller (so we can fit more on a
> page).
>
> Can someone point me to a documentation that will show me how I can
> install a printer filter?  I hear about all the time, and I saw the
> filler binary in the documentation page, but I am still at a loss for
> exactly how to go about piping something through a filter.

Well, in this case you probably don't need to write a filter, just
pass in options as documented in the SUM!

The following command prints the text file with 1/4" (18 point)
margins on all sides, with the text scaled so that you have 12
characters per inch and 8 lines per inch:

     cat filename | lpr -o cpi=12 -o lpi=8 -o page-left=18 \
         -o page-right=18 -o page-top=18 -o page-bottom=18