[cups.general] Re: How to move printers from one cups server to another?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 14 03:59:25 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 14 05:38 Mangoo wrote (shortened):
> > Mangoo wrote:
> > > How can I move printers from one cups server to another?
> > If you want to copy *all* printers, just copy the /etc/cups/ppd
> > directory and /etc/cups/printers.conf file to SERVER2 and restart
> > cupsd.
> when I copy /etc/cups/ppd/* and /etc/cups/printers.conf from SERVER1
> to SERVER2, and then restart CUPS on SERVER2 ...
> I get:
> Error:

See for example
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/jsmeix_print-cups-in-a-nutshell.html
Never copy configuration files from other systems to your system
unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Use command-line tools instead.

For example, to set up the same queues on several machines
(e.g., for a backup server), do not copy /etc/cups/printers.conf
and /etc/cups/ppd/*, but write the respective commands in a script
(usually a sequence of lpadmin commands) and run the script on the
various machines. In this way, any error messages will be displayed
on the respective machines (e.g., if a PPD file is not available on a
machine or if a backend is not available or not ready to use).
Furthermore with such a script you have something like a log-file
of the settings, enabling you to restore the settings by running
the script at any time.
Read the whole article to find out what has failed in your
particular case and to "know exactly what you are doing".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de