Printing to Epson printer from KDE and Scribus versus OpenOffice.

Russf russbucket at nwi.net
Tue Feb 14 15:22:22 PST 2006

SuSE10.0 2.6.13-15.8-default, Cups 1.1.23-21.2, ghostscript 8.15rc-29, Epson
pips-scx6500_6600s-cups version 2.6.2-2.

I am still having trouble printing to my Epson CX6600 which worked fine
in previous version of SuSE and Scribus. It appears the jobs from any
file thru kprinter and from Scribus abort. In looking at the debug nothing
is shown except the job was canceled. the ipp table from kprinter shows
the job was aborted by the system. No other explanation. I've also tried
changing the default postscript level back to level 2 which OOO uses. I
have also disabled apparmor thinking it may cause problems, like it does
with adobe reader. No help.

All jobs thru CUPS print fine from OpenOffice using the ODT format. I
have recreated the printer drivers and recreated the printer,
reinstalled ghostscript and CUPS. Always with same results.

My question:
  1. Can anyone explain the different paths the data takes in these
applications or give me a hint on what to look at? All applications print
fine to my HP LaserJet IIIP thru CUPS.

  2. Is it any better to use debugs2 for error_logging if nothing shows
under debug?

The printer also prints fine from Windows XP and all scanner functions
appear to work from Xsane, Kooka and iscan.
--
Russ